Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Chapter – 1: A Reunion and a Resolution

It was finally 5 in the evening. The sun was fast coming down, but where was everyone? The clear blue sky, the fading rays of the sun and the glorious ruins on the Acropolis was about to give this day, they had so long waited for, a fitting end. My wait had exceeded an hour, most needlessly. As usual, in my enthusiasm, I had arrived early, only to sulk. The ruins of a past civilization lay behind and the modern city of Athens lay below. Another time, I would have been enthusiastically taking pictures, but not today. Today was 10 years since we passed out of school, ten years from the fateful moment Rafi had said, we should meet atop the Acropolis hill and look back at all we have achieved in life and look ahead to what remains to be done.

We had agreed to it most enthusiastically then. After all in ten years, how many of us would stay in touch, this was just another promise to be made and forgotten. Life was waiting and so were independence, college, job and if possible a family life. Athens would remain a running joke all the while. And yet we had made it here. Jeevan was the one who made this sojourn possible. It was his spirited interest and repeated emails to the mailing groups over the last 6 months that had gotten the three of us to Athens. And I knew why the three of us were here. It had to be the Old Man. Of course there was Manu too, but he sadly announced his inability to get relieved from the Army due to some field exercises he was leading (or so he claimed…you know those armywalas, tall tales and all).

Why had I come? I didn’t know. Everyone must be saying I am mad. After all, unlike the other high-flying guys I was just a lowly schoolteacher. Jeevan had offered to sponsor the ticket-fare. I had saved enough for a laptop, but then in 28 years of living I hadn’t travelled abroad either. I was a loser to all who knew me, except my friends. Only they appreciated my decision to teach at the school we all studied in. I hadn’t regretted the decision even once. The last three years had been exciting, teaching and interacting with a whole new generation of Loyolites. For the boys I was a link to an older way of life at school and for me they were an extension of my own eventful school life. Except for how difficult the choices kept getting as I grew older, a treasure trove of experiences, and a whole new set of friends engineering college, the software job and the college lectureship was a painful, aimless phase in life. What saved the day for me was the private MA degree in History I managed to secure despite all the hardships and the paucity of time.

A group of tourists were coming up the hill. Some were exclaiming animatedly over the sight of the Parthenon. Where did my excitement vanish? I too had paced up like those tourists only to turn back and stare down the narrow street waiting for the boys to arrive, or shouldn’t I address them as men now? A boy from the group was running up the last few metres, leaving the elders struggling behind.
“Huh!”
I whirred around to see the rotund figure of Jeevan launch himselves to the ground.
“Watch Out!” before I could say he had crashed not knowing that a layer of hard rock lay deceptively underneath the sand.
“Amme!” (Mother!!!)
All I could offer as comfort was a “Sorry Aliya”.
“Shavame, couldn’t you have warned me.”

It was a comical sight to watch Jeevan rub his elbows, occasionally look up, then down, wincing in pain, blowing some air from his mouth, trying to cool off the pain. He was the funniest of us. His fantastical tales were legendary in our class. His eyes would widen, any one from an infinite permutation of facial expressions would form as the story demanded, his voice would quiver to a high pitch and then fall from that high crescendo to a whisper with us all eyes and ears to entertainment of the highest form. I was his bete-noire…like pricking an inflated balloon just to hear the popping sound; I had always found sadistic pleasure in deflating his puffed-up narrative. Once he was expounding the pleasures of taking a cruise on his uncle’s yacht, which he kept pronouncing yaach that I remarked, “Aliya, are you sure you are not talking about the boat ride on the Karamana river?” For a second I thought he was offended, but he had by then disregarded the laughter that arose and jollily moved on to a new plot, a new killing to be made”.

The Jeevan I knew was always fat; it was obvious he was exercising hard nowadays. A heavy eater, he hated any form of physical labour and was considered as a sloth by all. We loved to push him harder on the football ground and basketball court but he never relented, the game has to be played his way or he fled away. The joke was that he exercised only his tongue…to swallow and to talk, which he loved better, none of us knew. But today he was none of that to the world, though he remains the same old guy with us. Immigrating to the US, after school, he had dropped out of college after 2 years and begun his first business, a dotcom which failed. Realizing his strengths were not in technology started a successful business in heavy transport when the whole of America had deemed the market as saturated. With common sense and a lot of hard thought and 18 hour workdays, he had turned profitable and was capturing more markets every year. The newspapers were bullish about his company and an Indian website even carried a feature on him. Was he here to announce something big to us, was he here to talk with us, regain focus and take off, for that business encore which would make him king, I wondered?

“So where is Rafi? Do you think he will keep us waiting till midnight?”
“Unni, I frankly don’t know. It was his idea that we shouldn’t meet up anywhere in Athens until this evening here on the Acropolis. He claims he has changed but if he doesn’t show up everyone’s gonna laugh at us. We coming to Athens only to hear that Rafi is still on his way, somewhere in the Amazon jungles!”
A solitary figure came in view, huffing and puffing his way up the narrow alley. As the person came closer, we froze for a moment. Koshy! What is he doing here? He had never ever sent an email to the mailing group, the last many years, forget even letting us know his intention to come here. We had thought he was lost to us forever and now he shows up here. It was becoming clearer to me now. It was the Old Man again. It had to be.
“Am I welcome,” he asked, half in a tone unable to hide his moment of success at the shock still visible on our faces, the other half struggling to sheath a look of uncertainty on his face.
“Da Koshy, if what I think this rendezvous is all about is true, then certainly you had to be here too. But why this surprise?” I weakly offered.
“I wasn’t sure until the very last moment. That’s why.”

Koshy was a real oddity in our class. An outspoken guy, he feared none, and never wasted time in small talk. One moment he would be brutally loyal to a cause, the next he would appear disinterested. None could claim to be his best friend, but no one hated him either, for we all knew him to be a good man at heart. We knew his issues with his parents and sympathized, but he never opened up and we never bothered to hold him close either. After all we were boys hungrily looking for the next round of fun and frolic. Right from high school he showed his talent for computers and surprised none of us by getting into computer engineering. We all believed he was headed for fame as a tech-guru. Until a few years of working for a top IT company had convinced him that he wasting his potential, moved back home and started working as a freelancer developing some new software. What it was, he worked on, none of us knew. It must be something big, or he wouldn’t be here either, I wondered again.

The sun had set by now. Only the last of its sprawling limbs clung above the horizon as we watched its descent, a bewitching silence for company, the thought of this moment of truth, we so long carried with us as a burden, now a reality enthralling our hearts.
“Am I late, or am I earlier than usual?” then taking a look at our faces launched the most apologetic face he could muster and coughed out a thousand sorries, while simultaneously lunging forward into each of our arms in a warm hug.
Then raising his arms most dramatically to the sky he exclaimed, “Oh Athena! Oh Athens! Cradle of western civilization and knowledge. We who slaved at a Jesuit school to master all that poured out of your womb in later years, we present our humble selves at the Temple of Nike, in the quest of success.” We all laughed. Rafi was never given to dramatics. He seems to have changed.

Rafi was the Mr.Genius of the class. He was a top-ranker in class, his creative abilities included singing, painting and poetry. A competent sportsman too, what made him different from all of us was his erudition even in subjects as diverse as philosophy and psychology. Everyone thought he would go to an IIT, but he chose to study photography, worked in advertising where he soon got fed up and now worked as a freelance photographer whose works appeared with regular frequency in several magazines of international repute. I was wondering, had Rafi come here with an agenda not just for himself but for us too, he always pushed us to think bigger, achieve further, was he here for that?

And so it was just the four of us out of our class of 44 who could make it. The full-moon was coming up. The Acropolis would stay open till 8 at night. That meant we had another two hours to kill.
“So what do we do?” Koshy asked.
“Let’s talk about the good old days,” Jeevan enthusiastically offers.
“We do that at every reunion. Let’s make this one different,” Rafi suggested.
“How?” quipped me, though I had by now known what the answer would be.
“Don’t you guys realize, it is our destiny, it is the spirit of the Old Man that has caused us to meet in this strange place thousands of miles away.”
“But Manu is not here. Without him this reunion is incomplete.”
“We can always call him up.”
“For so long we have all rubbed along unable to do that something extra-significant in life. For everything and anything we take the Old Man’s name but there still remains lot to be done to make him proud. Today we are just also-ran’s. Tomorrow I believe with all my heart the whole world will look to us. But only if we try. I am glad it is the 4 of us who are here. I always knew we would end up different from all others and look where it has got us,” Rafi’s words were echoing deep within us until…
“Four hundred feet off the Parthenon and I still haven’t clicked a…”, the icy stares from the three faces silenced Jeevan.
“Sorry. My bad. Poor joke,” Jeevan trying hard to recompense, “Aliya Rafi continue.”
“I want you all to tell me your big dream”

Jeevan looked around for a second; a momentary uncertainty fleeted across his face before he recovered his smug demeanour and said, “I want to take my company to public issue. Before that I need to capture the West Coast market too. Compared to the millions I will rake in then today I am just a zero. It is not just about the money, my innovations in operational logistics will change the way many businesses operate.”
We looked towards Koshy, who pondered for a while before opening up to his usual measured response, “Guys I am sorry I never talked about my work before. But I am developing this new encryption technique which will prevent movie and music piracy from DVD’s and CD’s. We have applied for a patent and several top tech companies are showing interest. If this succeeds you can imagine what it means, for so many years we have been called service-men, this will be a boost to R&D in India’s IT sector.”
My turn had come up. I felt sheepish at my open-mouthed expression at my two friends’ bold pronouncements. “I…I think, I am going to write a, a novel.” Where did that come from? Was I spurred to bravado by the resolutions my friends proclaimed or was it something that had lain there in the recesses of my heart waiting to come bubbling out. The damage was done. I knew nothing should stop me now.
“Me. I am going to Africa. I am planning an entire photo feature that will shame the rest of the world into action”
“My God! It is dangerous. Are you sure you want to do this,” Jeevan quivered.
A stare with hurt scribbled all over emanated from Rafi’s face.
“I am sorry. Do us proud da,” Jeevan said as he set aside all his reservations.
“So I unilaterally decide that by the end of this year, that gives us nine months, we all meet at the Old Man’s grave to take stock and to present our progress reports. F is not an option. The only grade in this exam is Success.”

“Let’s call Manu!” I was surprised and pleased to hear Jeevan and Rafi shout that out at the same time.
“Bloody Pattalam, he must be busy cooking for his officers”. To make sure he never got too heady with pride, we always pulled Manu, a Major in the Indian Army down to the level of a cook at the Officer’s Mess. Jeevan took out his phone, set it to speaker-phone and dialled. We waited in anticipation for the dear voice on the other side.

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:34:00 PM, Blogger Thanu said...

I think it a good effort, keep going can't wait to hear the speaker phone conversation.

 
At Thursday, November 02, 2006 1:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very promising start. Your methodical approach and the time spent on the lay of the mosaic is showing up. I'm really excited about the next issues. But dear if you are not offended and want to take criticisms with open arms a heed of caution for you. Please do a recheck after you have scribbled. there are a few countable errors like somewhere you referred to Jeevan as themselves and somewhere else you slipped out on the tense..may be the word was 'laying'. i'm not blaming you, its common to overlook such small slips specially when you are set for such a mammoth task..

O yes another thing the title of the novel doesn't go with the great potential the beginning has created. It's too early for me to come up with a helpful suggestion as I don't know how the story is going to evolve, how it is going to round off. So it's you who will know the best. But I can help you out here in 1 thing. Do keep in mind the plot of the story and if possible name your novel on the plot or may be the climax. Naming after the characters isn't a good idea as you intend to revolve it around 6 characters.

But to be very honest buck up Jiby, this start was quite fascinating. Just get the gears going but take care that you don't go overboard with emotins, as it may divert you from the objectivity with which you are to shape your characters. If you are objective and not subjective, you can do justice to all your main characters (you know what I mean, this was rather a reply to your question "Would I be able to do justice to all of them ")

All I can promise here is I'll try to be regular with the critical appreciation and keep you updating on your progress. Till then Happy Writing!

 
At Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RS again.
Good Job Jiby.. U had me hooked... :)
And no, u dont know me personally...
-RS

 
At Thursday, November 02, 2006 5:52:00 AM, Blogger quills said...

Very nice Jiby. :) I really enjoyed reading it and what makes it even more fun is that the places you mention are familiar and therefore can picture it really well. Looking forward to reading more.

 
At Thursday, November 02, 2006 9:02:00 AM, Blogger mathew said...

Nice one man..good flow..have a sub conscious feeling that the story is moving a tad fast..although not sure..its just my personal opinion..

The good part is that it keep us hooked to read the next part..Like Amu said ..you can defintely improvise on the title..

keep up Jiby..

 
At Friday, November 03, 2006 11:47:00 AM, Blogger Rajesh said...

Good stuff Jiby. Dont worry about anything when you write. This is your first draft. Give it full rein. The story is very interesting. Write as fast as the ideas come into your mind. Read the comments on this blog. keep only the encouraging ones in mind. Shrug off all others. There will come a time when you will have to criticize your work thoroughly and remove every unwanted bit from it. You can look at all the critical comments then. Not now. There is a flow in this story which you should never lose. And it is very interesting. So just keep at it...All the best wishes.

 
At Friday, November 17, 2006 7:03:00 AM, Blogger Sujith said...

man, this requires a lot of courage. lemme be a reqular here.. kudos! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home